Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:46:37 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
To:        Marshall Price <d021317c@dc.seflin.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is it?

>   While your website seems very large and helpful, it doesn't answer the
> main question up front:  What is FreeBSD, and why is it called that?

True, it doesn't say why it's called "FreeBSD", but it does say what it
is.  When I surf to

	http://www.freebsd.org/

I see the following in big red letters:

	What is FreeBSD?

followed by a paragraph:

	FreeBSD is an advanced BSD UNIX operating system
        for "PC-compatible" computers ...

which says that it's something for PC-style personal computers, and
specifically, it's an operating system of some sort.

I can see that people who don't know what "BSD" is in this context might
be confused.  I might reword this paragraph as follows:

	FreeBSD is a freely available advanced operating system
        for PC-compatible computers, providing a powerful
	Berkeley-style UNIX environment.

I've removed the reference to "a large team of individuals" since I
don't think it's important at this point.

Take care.
--Sean