Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 09:41:08 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        Roland Jay Roberts <jay@map.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, blair@strech.cyber-naut.com
Subject:   Re: Too much swap?????

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, Roland Jay Roberts wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Dec 1995 19:31:17 -0700 you wrote:
>
> >Is there such a thing as 'too much swap space'?  I am running FreeBSD 2.1 on 8 >megs of ram (yeah, I know, it sucks).  I was reading somewhere (don't know >where), that if you have too much swap space, it works against the system.
>
> Not sure if this is true or not, but I've heard that the swapp
> partition should be at least twice the size of physical RAM in the
> machine.

Probably better if the swap partition is > 2*RAM... I have 16MB RAM and
32 MB swap and keep running out.   The 32MB swap partition is a hangover
from when I had 8MB RAM... one day I'll have to bite the bullet and
increase my swap space.

> 8 Megs isn't bad if you're only doing text mode (which is how I'm
> running FreeBSD), but for X - add more.

> // Roland Jay Roberts  -  Team OS/2  -   |  ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
> // Internet: jay@map.com                 |       |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
> // FidoNet: Roland Roberts @ 1:321/305.5 |      '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !