Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 18:16:37 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        J A Shamsi <jashamsi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scripts

Hi,

I saw this on freshmeat.net. It is part of the Linux documentation project.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

I'm not sure how much of a help it will be, but since you are new to shell
script programming it should get you started.

You should also look at the man pages.

man find
man bash
man grep
man sed
man sort
man awk
man perl
man cut

You'll probably end up using many of these strung together to create your
shell script.

Best Regards
Willem Brown

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 08:59:18AM -0700, J A Shamsi wrote:
> HI
> I am new to shell scripting,
> I would like to create a script in bash shell.
> that would do the following
>
> 1) find out the latest file ( text file)in a directory
> ( there are bunch of files in a dir)
>
> 2)open that file (text file) and parse the
> values seperated by comma and store them in variables.
>
> just wondering is there any howto or documenation
> available on the web, or if anyone has any idea...
>
> thanks
>
> jas

 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

Never argue with an idiot:  People watching may not be able
to tell the difference.