Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:34:08 -0500
From:      Ralph Dratman <ralph@maxsoft.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Valery Izotov <izotov@gol.ru>, Tait Larson <tait@wego.com>, Ivan Fetch <ivanfetch@technologist.com>, Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Subject:   RE: ata1-master: <MATSHITA cr-581/1c05> CDROM device - NO DRIVER!

Ted,

Thanks very much for your reply. In fact I did build a custom kernel
with the following line in the configuration file:

     device    matcd0  at isa? port 0x230

but the device still isn't coming up. I found this configuration
line in the LINT file, but I must admit that I don't understand
the syntax of it. Given the bootup error message

     ata1-master: <MATSHITA cr-581/1c05> CDROM device - NO DRIVER!

should I change the port address to 1c05? I feel pretty dumb. Also,
in the Lehey book, p. 361, the matcd0 configuration line is shown as follows:

    controller    matcd0	at isa? port 0x230 bio

and I don't know what to think of "controller" versus "device" or the
"bio" at the end.

Regards,

Ralph Dratman