Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 19:31:23 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bt878 support

Kevin Day:
 |I just purchased a new bt878 compatible card... After a lot of fiddling from
 |Amancio, we got it working properly... However, I'm not able to get the

Hey, glad to hear it!

 |video in on the card to work. (blue screen, no video) In vic, we're able to
 |get it to work using 'port-3' using the meteor device. Amancio has asked me
 |to ask you to add support for it. :)
 |
 |Any way I can help? :)

Well, I just caught up on the bt878 mail, and I have a few related questions:

    1. Does your TV card feed all 4 Bt878 inputs?
    2. What are the Bt878 inputs on your card connected to?
       (tuner, video jacks, svideo jacks, etc.)

The reason I ask is this:  By convention, the mappings for Bt848 input
device types -to- bktr input device ioctl #defines are as follows:

      #define   DEVICE TYPE
      -------   ---------------
       DEV0   = STD VIDEO INPUT
       DEV1   = TUNER     INPUT
       DEV2   = SVIDEO    INPUT

This is fine.  The app and the user don't need to know what strange way
"manufacturer X" wired up devices to the Bt848 inputs.  The driver knows,
and it remaps these in a standard way to driver #defines.

The issue I'm getting at here is, shouldn't the driver internally be
mapping the DEV0 input device type #define (i.e. STD VIDEO INPUT) to the
Bt878 Mux 3 for your card?  Or do you have "2" STD VIDEO inputs on your
card?  Or do we have a new type of of input device that can appear on TV
boards?

Randall