Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:25:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Owen G <owen_pg@yahoo.com>
To:        Bob Johnson <fbsdlists@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpd configuration . . . and errors

--- Bob Johnson <fbsdlists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/14/06, Owen G <owen_pg@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Following the suggestions regarding setting ntpd as a daemon
> > I did the following and got these console messages . . .
> >
> > . . .
> > Jul 14 13:04:29 epia ntpd[648]: no IPv6 interfaces found
> > Jul 14 13:04:29 epia ntpd[648]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for
> > "europe.pool.ntp.org IN AAAA", got type "A"

ntpd> This isn't a problem. It asked for an IP6 address if available
and it
> wasn't, so it got an IP4 address instead.
>
> > Jul 14 13:05:44 epia ntpd[656]: no IPv6 interfaces found
>
> Notice the process ID changed from 648 to 656 here. It looks like a
> second copy of ntpd is trying to start.
>
> > Jul 14 13:05:44 epia ntpd[656]: bind() fd 4, family 2, port 123,
> addr
> > 0.0.0.0, i
> > n_classd=0 flags=8 fails: Address already in use
>
> The second copy can't grab port 123 because the first copy is already
> using it.
>
> The output of ntpq -p should be informative. It will tell you if ntpd
> is actually working.
>
> By the way, you can use multiple servers for greater reliability,
> e.g.
> in ntp.conf:
>
> server     0.europe.pool.ntp.org
> server     1.europe.pool.ntp.org
> server     2.europe.pool.ntp.org
>
> will give you three different randomly selected servers, in case one
> goes down.
>
> - Bob

Thanks Bob,

I did a reboot to see if the same errors come up this time - without me
laying on any hands!

After a reboot, when running "ntpq -p", as requested . . . it says
"can't read: connection refused.
- and there's no console output.  Obviously ntpd isn't starting
automatically.  Wrong - I used the ntpd_flags="-q" as per a previous
posting . . . without me having RTFM - mea culpa!

Then I corrected this "run once and quit option" and now get no
"errors" on the console anymore and "ntpq -p" gives:

epia# ntpq -p
jitter
*h2348.serverkom 192.53.103.108   2 u   62  128  377   63.394    9.194
19.331
epia#

BTW, The idea of using "europe.pool.ntp.org" as the only server was
that the address itself resolves to a round robin pool of servers -
obviating the need for multiple entries.  I will of course sit
corrected.

My concern is now that ntpd doesn't seem to report that it has checked
the time with any timesource.  Any ideas how to confirm (apart from
changing the time to something wrong but only wrong by less than 1000
seconds?)

Cheers,

Owen

Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com