Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 00:12:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        mark@seeware.DIALix.oz.au (Mark Hannon)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More EIDE questions

It seems that Mark Hannon said:
> The system I am considering is a new 486 motherboard with
> ISA and VLB slots.  I have a few questions....

VLB seems pretty dead now... I'd recommend buying PCI.

> 1) I see in the handbook that VLB busses are OK but I can't
>    see how I should configure this for the kernel.  Do I just
>    use the isa0 entry??

Yes, there are no special considerations kernel-wise for VLB.

> 2) On the same line of questioning, what devices can I put on
>    the VLB bus?  I can either get a new EIDE controller to run
>    from the ISA bus or from one of the VLB slots.  I assume
>    that it is the same wdc[01] I use irrespective of which bus
>    I stick the card in???

Yes.

> 3) I presently have two IDE HDs and am planning on buying a new
>    shiny one when I upgrade.  According to the salesman I should
>    be able to drive 4 HDs off an EIDE drive - Is this true for

We don't support E-IDE. So if 4 drives are a special E-IDE feature, I don't
think it would work.

But, really,  do  yourself  a favor, buy    SCSI and forget   all these IDE
specifics. Just plug and play (the real one, not the PnP  aka Plug and Pray
:-))

You won't regret it.
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #5: Sun Feb  4 03:11:17 MET 1996