Date:      22 Jan 1998 12:10:23 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        ji@research.att.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rebuilding world after a cvsup

John Ioannidis <ji@research.att.com> writes:
> After my first full cvsup, I went to /usr/src and typed "make
> buildworld" followed by "make installworld", and things were (much to
> my amazement) worked. However, it is not obvious to me how to do
> another make after a cvsup which updates just a few files; a plain
> "make" does not appear to do the right thing (and indeed, when
> followed by "make install" trashed my machine the one time I tried
> it), and make buildworld erases everything and rebuilds it from
> scratch. Surely there must be a better way than leaving the thing to
> compile for a couple of hours!

It varies from day to day. The idea is that you go through the log and
see what has changed. If there's just been a couple of changes to some
userland apps, you can get away with 'make install' in the appropriate
directories. If, however, there have been changes to the libraries, or
includes, or the kernel (e.g. the mse and psm drivers had some changes
recently, as well as moused) you may need to make world.

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"