Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2002 18:22:42 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Andrey Beresovsky <and@rsu.ru>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Oleg Sharoiko <os@rsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: Need to override KRNLCONFDIR variable in command line of make (file /usr/src/Makefile.inc1).

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Peter Pentchev wrote:

PP> I was wondering about that when I saw your PR; actually, I think that
PP> the current FreeBSD kernel building infrastructure is quite sufficient
PP> for what you want to do, without any more modifications.
PP>
PP> Why do you need different source trees and kernel config dirs?  I see no
PP> problem with keeping all kernel configs for the same version of FreeBSD
PP> in the same src/sys/<arch>/conf/ directory, or at least keeping symlinks
PP> to different files in the same src/sys/<arch>/conf/ directory.
PP>
PP> Different source trees - if you have a source tree checked out to use
PP> for building the kernel, what is stopping you from invoking the
PP> 'buildkernel' target from the corresponding src/ directory, the one
PP> directly above the sys/ directory?

My project involves automatic or semiautomatic checkouts, updates and
removals of source trees. It would be unwise to keep kernel configs in this
source trees. Thats why I need to change KRNLCONFDIR variable. Of course, I
can do it with the help of links, but I think it's not a good solution.

I guess the changes I suggest will definitely not break anything but only add
flexibility which is typical for BSD make files.

The solution with links is not a right thing, because it involves more dirty
work which can be avoided with a help of simple makefile modification.

---
Andrey Beresovsky.
Software and Network Engineer
Computer Center of Rostov State University.