Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 01:44:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote upgrade stops ssh connections

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, CHOI Junho wrote:

> At first machine, I typed "killall -1 sshd". All my session
> disconnected and I couldn't login.

That's not surprising.  Don't use killall unless you want to drop your
current connection.

>  At second machine, I typed
> "(killall -9 sshd; /usr/sbin/sshd)" and the same thing happened.

You need not move up to a sledgehammer.

Just kill the parent process.  Try restarting it.  If it doesn't restart,
investigate why by looking in the logs.  Fix whatever complaint there is
in the logs (changes to sshd_config between versions, forgetting to
update your pam config file, not reading UPDATING).

If, for example the reason it wasn't restarting was due to an error in the
config file, a reboot would do little to help you.  This is not Windows,
rebooting is not the best way to fix a problem.

Charles