Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:43:01 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        "Brian T. Allen" <brian@gzmarketing.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switching from Red Hat Linux to FreeBSD

> I am trying hard to be the newest convert to FreeBSD (installed from
> 4.2 ISO), converting from Red Hat Linux.  I have a lot of experience
> with Linux, but I am a FreeBSD virgin.

Awesome.  Welcome.

> Are there any FAQ's out there that are designed to help a seasoned
> Linux user make the transition to FreeBSD?

I seem to remember something like that (at freebsddiary.org, IIRC).
Basically, the Unix commands are going to be the same across the board
except for a few notorious ones (ifconfig, ps, route, etc.) that never
seemed to heal across the SysV/BSD gap.  I think what you want to know
are the differences in config files, though, and that's tricky:

> For instance, under Linux I issue the command:
>
>   # /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet restart
>
> to restart the network after making changes.  What is the similar
> command under FreeBSD?  I am so lost right now I just reboot the
> machine after I make configuration file changes...  :}

Hmm...

  % uname -a
  Linux apu 2.2.16 #15 Thu Feb 15 11:12:47 CST 2001 i686 unknown
  % /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet restart
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet: Command not found.

Remember, stuff like what you're talking about is actually
Redhat-specific, not just Linux-specific.  These convenience scripts
either don't exist or are substantially different on, e.g. Slackware
and Debian.

These scripts do not exist, for the most part, on FreeBSD either.  It
makes the learning curve a little sharp, yes, but you learn much
better what's going on that way.  Also, you don't restart every
network service when a single option changes.  For example, you learn
that if you alter /etc/inetd.conf, you should restart inetd with

  # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

or if you change the `defaultrouter' line, you can do

  # route delete default && route add default 1.2.3.4

I'd advise just searching /etc/rc* to see what those scripts do on
startup with your particular options, and then use that as a starting
point.  If you have specific questions, there are dozens of people on
this list who can help.  Just ask, "I changed the `x' line in
/etc/rc.conf to accomplish `y', and I'm pretty sure that's right.  How
can I make `y' take effect now without rebooting?"

> A cross-reference of commands, configuration files, etc. would be a
> big boon to those making the same trip I am making.  I would be
> happy to spearhead it, but right now I only understand the Linux
> half of the equation...

A noble goal, but a tricky one.  As you demonstrated above, this
business of configuration is not even close to uniform across Linux
distributions, so any such documentation is going to be of limited
use, even among Linux users.  Still, such documentation for Redhat
users may still be useful... mumble, mumble.

It appears that you hit the `reply' button to some random message in
-questions in order to post your question.  This may work, but I for
one use a mail client that displays messages in their threads, and you
doing this made your post look like an answer to another user's
question.  I almost missed it, and I'd wager a bunch of others did,
too.

Lucas