Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:07:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do i log another device to syslog?

--- Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl> wrote:
> See 'man syslog.conf'. You need to edit /etc/syslog.conf to tell syslogd
> to route all messages from a host to separate files. They will appear
> in /var/log, just like your 'regular' logs from syslog (ie
> /var/log/messages,
> /var/log/security etc).

i have, and the explanation is extremely cryptic.

i gather that this has something to do with my problem:

------------
  A hostname specification of the form `#+hostname' or
 `+hostname' and the following blocks will be applied to messages received
  from the specified hostname.  Alternatively, a hostname specification
  `#-hostname' or `-hostname' causes the following blocks to be applied to
  messages from any host but the one specified.  If the hostname is given
  as `@', the local hostname will be used.  A program or hostname specifi-
  cation may be reset by giving the program or hostname as `*'.
------------

it doesn't make any sense to me, and there are no examples in the man page
that are useful to my sittuation.

it seems that i'm having other issues as well.

this is what i'm now running for syslogd:

syslogd -v -a x.x.x.x/11:syslog -a x.x.x.x/24:syslog

when i do netstat -a, i see the following for syslogd:

udp4       0      0  *.syslog               *.*

it's state is blank.

so right now, nothing is happening.  i constantly check /var/log/messages
to see if anything new appeared from either host, but the box doesn't seem
to be logging anything.

anyone else wanna help with this one?

-Sameer