Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:51:17 +0000
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade Problem?

In message <3.0.6.32.20020305180304.007c7530@stjohn.stjohn.ac.th>, Roger
Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th> writes
>*However* the big problem seems to be (at least for me) that there *is no*
>ruby-uri in the ports tree. I'm baffled, because when I went to /usr/ports
>and ran 'make search key="ruby-uri"' it came back with a list of ports that
>depend on it *and* a listing for it as /usr/ports/net/ruby-uri -- and THERE
>IS NO such directory. So I cvsup'ed my ports and there still isn't any
>/usr/ports/net/ruby-uri there.

I've not exactly followed the development but a little hunting around
today found someone trying to merge ruby-uri into the main Ruby
distribution.

I dug this out of a web page discussing the idea:
"I understand YAMADA Akira(ay)-san made yet another URI module(URb) and
this module is in the releasing works. Koshimizu-san might decide to
stop the development after examini"

At a guess I'd say someone did a pretty good job of it all since things
like Portupgrade which apparently need it seem to be working pretty well
without it.

>So what's the next step? If it's been removed from the ports tree, what do
>I do about all the dependencies?

pkgdb -F should catch most of them assuming the above has actually
happened.  Then it's a case of finding the maintainers of any ports
still listing it as a dependency and giving them a HEADSUP.

Kevin
--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk