Date:      Wed, 21 May 2003 19:52:10 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        omestre@freeshell.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux emulation.

omestre@freeshell.org writes:
>  I did saw the documentation (in handbook), about the emulation that
> are not emulation. :) But i want to know more about that. Where can
> i find this documentation?
>  i know, i know... the sources. But i want to read articles about
> that... talking about the implementation and how it works (more
> deep than the handbook), so, maybe i can understand the sources.

Try searching for +freebsd +linuxulator on google. You might find something
usefull.

But I suspect that you'll have to read the sources.

>  Really, the SO implementation, vm, io and etc is independent of ABI that
> it is running. Excelent. But i want know more. I want know if there are
> overhead in some point (sysent traduction?).

Of course there's overhead. The FreeBSD kernel has to map the Linux
syscalls into FreeBSD syscalls, which is a layer of indirection. And
be aware that not all Linux syscalls are handled by FreeBSD.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org gj@denx.de