Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:40:21 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: any faster way to rm -rf huge directory?

At 2:08 PM -0700 7/13/00, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
>I did "rm -rf <dirname>" to clean up the directory, and that
>was Monday.  At the current rate of deletions (just under
>10/minute), it's going to be a week or two before it gets
>done, as it should get faster once the directory gets smaller.

Is it easy to tell which order the files were added to the
directory?  (easy to tell by the filename, I mean.  It'd be
murder to have to stat() each file to find out the order!).
I wonder if it would speed things up at all if you could
remove the files in the opposite order of the order they
were created in.

How large are the files that you are deleting?

I wonder if there is any filesystem caching-related knob
which he could temporarily turn up which would help speed
this along.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute