Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:45:33 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

Hi,
Terry Lambert wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Frederik Meerwaldt wrote:
> > ->Differences... FreeBSD is a real Unix, while Linux is a ..how should I
> > Hmmm.  FreeBSD is not a UNIX, rather it's a UNIX alike OS. (Which really
> > doesn't matter IMHO)
> > Don't forget UNIX is a trademark of Open Group.
>
> Actually, it's a trademark of USL, licensed to The Open Group.

`Actually' ;-) ...
Well I'm not sure, ... the TM ownership has ceased to be of real
relevance to me, but AFAIR Unix the TM was bought by SCO a few years back,
(SCO=Santa Cruz Org, server div. of which is busy being bought by Caldera,
a Linux distrib.)

> I believe that the The Open Group license is exclusive, so I

Exclusion not possible regarding current licensed usage of the name,
only regarding granting of future licences to use the name.

> don't know what impact Caldera's recent purchase has on their
> ability to call Caldera Linux "UNIX".

Unix the TM has moved a lot: AT&T Bell Labs NJ, then also licensed by
Unix Europe in Putney London (a European subsidiary of AT&T) used to flog
licences in the 80s, I guess just about every major
computer co. can dig up a licence that they too are allowed to flog
some ancient version of Unix, & use the name Unix in marketing etc
(probably with a `this is not the original, but is based on' clause).

Who this season holds the right to sell licenses to use the Unix TM I'm not
sure, but as the Bavarian (Germany) division of SCO holds its quarterly
business briefing this thursday (supported by Caldera, backed by Compaq),
I'll ask them if they know who's the current owner of the trademark.

Julian
-
Julian Stacey	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
Munich Unix Consultant.		Free BSD Unix with 3900 packages & sources.