Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:36:54 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Jerry Dunham <dunham@dunham.org>
Cc:        Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cheapest laptop for FreeBSD? winmodems?

In message <20000803101451.B9031@rider.dunham.org>, Jerry Dunham wrote:
} On Thu,  3 August 2000 at  0:44:55 -0500, Jon Hamilton wrote:

} > That might be; the propaganda clearly stated that you could have one
} > type II _OR_ one type III, but I admit to knowing nothing more about
} > PCMCIA than was necessary to make my card work.  Looking at the profile
} > though, I see my 16 bit card is too wide to fit in the "top" slot, so
} > if it's a type II, you definitely couldn't put two of it in at once.
}
} Call 'em what you will, these days PCMCIA cards come in two basic sizes,
} thin and fat.  Some PCMCIA slots will only take one thin one, but most
} will take either one fat one, or two thin ones.  I can't imagine why
} anyone would design a slot that would take a fat one or ONLY ONE thin
} one.  That just doesn't make sense.  I suspect the bug is in your
} documentation.

When viewed from the side, the PCMCIA opening looks more or less like this:

   +--+                                                         +--+

My 16 bit FA-410 ethernet card fits in the bottom slot, but is too wide
for the top slot.  There is no way one could physically insert two of
these cards in the available opening.  I have not looked inside to see
whether the internal hardware could accept two such cards or not; given
Compaq's general tendency to find at least one thing per machine to make
hideously bogus, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that the limitation
is strictly one of the opening in the case being deliberately made too
small.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com