Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 09:15:37 -0700
From:      Michael Maibaum <mike@maibaum.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   installation problem-possible problem with mach64 card?

I am trying to set up a home server using a old PC and the install
process is failling before I get to the install screen. I made the boot
floppies kern.flp and mfsroot.flp and I can boot up to the kernal config
choice, I choose visual, and tried to configure the kernel....

when I quit the config program it dumps me back to a console which
scrolls about 2/3 of a screen starting at avail memory (around 73000K),
it then goes through what I presume is the process of identifying the
hardware that is present, it IDs the PCI and ISA bus, ata0 and ata1 then
I get the line

pci0: <ATI Mach64-CT graphics accelerator> at 4.0 irq 9

and then it sits there and does nothing but let the fan hum gently....

It doesn't seem to matter what I put in the kernel config screen, I can
disable almost everything and still see this, I can leave everything in
and see this. and many configs in between.

I burnt a CD-Rom from the iso image on the ftp site, however the machine
doesn't seem to want to boot from that either, the bios has a setting
that will allow/disallow CD-ROM booting but even with the CD_ROM booting
enabled it doesn't seem to boot from the CD.

the machine is an acer P120 with 80Mb RAM, it has two nics, a modem
(although I don't care about that-I could remove it if that would help).
A 1gig IDE HD, and CD ROM.

If the exact nic chipsets are relevant let me know and I'll figure it
out.

thanks for any help

Michael