Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:33:38 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org, darrylo@sr.hp.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

>> Bust surely it only installs on the drive(s) that you tell it to?
>
>NO!!!  It don't even ask you what drive to install on, really, this thing
>is an assuming POS that things it has rights to everthing in your box.

The problem seems to be that it writes its own MBR to hard drive.  It
has to do that to boot to other drives.

>If you had a chain of 7 scsi disks all with the bogus 50K block MBR
>WIN95 would gladly fdisk the remaining disk space and DOS format it
>for you....

Not likely.  Formatting is too dangerous and takes too long to do
routinely.  I guess it just "fixes" the partition tables and this is
equivalent to zeroing all the partitions for most users.

Bruce