Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 07:26:48 -0500
From:      "Harry Patterson" <harry@visiontm.com>
To:        "stable freebsd.org" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTP and Telnet pblms with Ethernet

Forgive a newbies persistence and verbosity, but I still can't get this
going.  My original post was:

> I have a nagging problem getting Telnet and FTP to connect in reasonable
> time frame (ws-ftp won't at all). I am using Windows95 with a 10MB
Ethernet
> connection to a FreeBSD 2.2.5 box.  Apache works fine (fast) so it doesn't
> seem to be a DNS thing (simple DNS with only one box, one domain, nslookup
> and ping are fast from the win95 box). It appears to be taking inetd a
long
> time to issue the login and causes timeouts. (just remembered mail does
the
> same thing, all login dependant).

I believe it is a FreBSD DNS problem with reverse lookup, but can't resolve
it.  I can lookup hostnames, addresses etc just fine from the Win95 to DNS.

I can ping everything just fine from the FreeBSD box. But when I do an
nslookup with no parameters it times out with the following:

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.93.203: timed out
*** Default servers are not available

(note: I am not connected to the Internet which is why I think the default
server message)

I've included everything I think is important below. I'm sure I'm missing
something very elementary.

Thanks for your help

Harry

==== hosts ======
127.0.0.1  localhost loghost
192.168.93.203  momma.harry.com
==== rc.conf excerpt ======
### Basic network options: ###
hostname="momma.harry.com"  # Set this!
==== named.boot ======
directory        /etc/namedb
;type domain                  source /host file     backup file
cache .   named.root
primary harry.com.  db.harry.com
==== db.harry.com ======
@ IN   SOA  harry.com. Harry.harry.com. (
  1998021845  ; Serial numb
  3600   ;refresh
  900    ;retry
  3600000 ;expire
  3600 ) ;minimum

; name servers
        IN     NS     ns.harry.com.
ns    IN     A     192.168.93.203

; hosts
localhost  IN A 127.0.0.1
momma   IN A 192.168.93.203
hp           IN A 192.168.93.5

; Mail records
               IN MX 50 momma.harry.com.

; Nicknames
www       IN CNAME momma
ftp           IN CNAME momma

; System Information - don't always want this to be correct for hackers
momma  IN  HINFO  "Intel Pentium" " FreeBSD 2.2.5"

;Reverse information
$ORIGIN 93.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA
          IN NS ns.harry.com.
203      IN PTR momma.harry.com.