Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:15:07 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Riccardo Torrini <riccardo@torrini.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trivial patch: fdisk doesn't recognize my partitions

Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > In message <XFMail.20021128230029.riccardo@torrini.org>, Riccardo Torrini write
> > >As far as I know it use an EXOR 0x10 to hide/unhide but fdisk doesn't
> > >recognize 0x0B/0x0C fat32 when hidden (0x1B/0x1C)
> > But as I said, this is  rather marginal and I really don't feel
> > it should go in unless this xor-0x10 convention is more widespread.
>
> "Hiding" partitions is a bug IMO, so it should have negative support.
> This convention would break many OS's conventions.
> E.g., NextSTEP | 0x10 gives BSDI.

If you think about it, if there is no one to claim it, it's
reasonable to treat it as raw disk space, and try to find a
partition on it.

Really, there's no reason to care about partition type at all,
since the contents will have the right magic numbers and the
right data layout for a FATFS: you don't really care.

That's really only meaningful if you decide the "hiding" that
"magic.com" does doesn't apply to you; if it applies to you,
then, in fact, it's a good thing that it's not recognized: the
"magic.com" program has successfuly accomplished what it was
written to accomplish -- so it's a non-problem.

-- Terry