Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:17:31 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do i log another device to syslog?

--WChQLJJJfbwij+9x

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 03:07:05AM -0800, Bsd Neophyte wrote:
> --- Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl> wrote:
> > See 'man syslog.conf'. You need to edit /etc/syslog.conf to tell syslogd
> > to route all messages from a host to separate files. They will appear
> > in /var/log, just like your 'regular' logs from syslog (ie
> > /var/log/messages,
> > /var/log/security etc).
>=20
> i have, and the explanation is extremely cryptic.

I concur, it isn't simple.

The following is untested but it appears that it should work from
my reading of the manpage (unfortunately, although I do intend to
use this setup sometime, I don't have time right now to test it).

Append this to your /etc/syslog.conf and kill -HUP syslogd:

+remotehost
*.*		/var/log/remotehost

And then see if /var/log/remotehost gets filled.

> it seems that i'm having other issues as well.
>=20
> this is what i'm now running for syslogd:
>=20
> syslogd -v -a x.x.x.x/11:syslog -a x.x.x.x/24:syslog

That looks good.

> when i do netstat -a, i see the following for syslogd:
>=20
> ------------
> udp4       0      0  *.syslog               *.*
> ------------
>=20
> it's state is blank.

So it is listening for other messages, that's also good.

> so right now, nothing is happening.  i constantly check /var/log/messages
> to see if anything new appeared from either host, but the box doesn't seem
> to be logging anything.

I guess it needs to be told specifically to log messages from the box.

Try the above and let me know, it will be helpful for me as well :)

BTW, for testing, check out logger(1) -- you can use it to send test
messages to syslogd (and thus across the network).

--Stijn

--=20
Help Wanted: Telepath. You know where to apply.

--WChQLJJJfbwij+9x

--WChQLJJJfbwij+9x--