Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:30:58 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jim Freeze <jfreeze@freebsdportal.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I install 4.4R?

Jim Freeze <jfreeze@freebsdportal.com> types:
> Hi
>
> I installed 4.3R yesterday and saw that
> 4.4 was out. So I tried to install 4.4.
> I did this by booting from the 4.3R cd
> and installing from ftp. I thought that would
> get me the latest, but I got 4.3. So, I
> did the upgrade in /stand/sysinstall--also
> from ftp. It did not give me an option of
> what to upgrade to, and when it was done,
> I had 4.3.
>
> So, my question is, how do I get 4.4 installed
> without making a 4.4 CD and, is it worth it?

Sysinstall will only install the version that it was released with,
and trying to do things other than installs with it on a different
release isn't safe.  You can do the ftp install of 4.4 using the 4.4
floppies. You'll need to FTP the images and make them yourself.

Yes, it's worth it. At the very least, apply the security patches that
have been made to RELENG_4_3 since it was released.

	<mike

Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.