Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 10:52:02 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Burhan Nazir <burhan@blueyonder.co.uk>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Softupdates on root in 4.5-RELEASE

> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:24:47 +0000
> From: Burhan Nazir <burhan@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Softupdates will not write any data immediatly to the disk.  I believe
> it is about 30 seconds b4 any data actually gets wriiten.  This enhances
> disk write speed for certain types of operations.  However, there is a
> small risk of data loss/coruption if the machine looses power b4 any data was
> written.  For that reason, ppl believe that it is not a good idea to
> have softupdates on the system critical root partition

Ouch! I hope softupdates doesn't wait 30 seconds to write data to
disk!

What softupdates does do is order the writing of metadata so that it
is, in theory, impossible to have corrupt metadata and thus eliminate
the requirement for fsck before mounting as well as the possibility of
a damaged disk structure. One of the side effects is that updating of
the file system when files are deleted can be delayed for many
seconds.

Many systems only have 50 MB root systems and that is not a lot of
slack. If you run softupdates on that partition and attempt a large
number of updates (as with an installworld), new files will be
written out without the free space on the disk being credited with the
space taken by the old, replaced files. The result is an installation
failure because the root file system is "full".

If you enlarge your root system to 100 or 200 MB and keep root
reasonably clean, this should not be a problem and softupdates can be
turned on for the root system.

One point of clarification...while a system running with softupdates
does not REQUIRE an fsck to be safely returned to service, it does
need one at some point to free up unused blocks that are still marked
as in use. In V5.0 it is likely that background fsck will be
implemented so that you boot back up and get the system functioning
and then start fsck running in the background to get back deleted file
space.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)