Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:22:11 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Prevalence of FreeBSD and UNIX among servers

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> That seems logical, but why would they choose Linux specifically?  Everything I've seen thus far during my brief newbie experience
> with FreeBSD suggests that it is significantly superior to Linux for any kind of serious production use, and FreeBSD doesn't cost
> any more than Linux (perhaps less, since you don't have to purchase complete distributions).  Indeed, any of the BSD clones would
> seem to be a better bet than Linux.  Is hype alone driving the feverish interest in Linux?

Several reasons. First, more people have heard of Linux than FreeBSD.
Second, more people are familiar with Linux than with FreeBSD. Third,
more people are experienced installing maintaining Linux than FreeBSD.

You need to take into account the decision maker. If they haven't run
FreeBSD, know anyone in their organization running FreeBSD, or even
heard of FreeBSD, then they aren't going to choose it. They won't choose
FreeBSD just because it has a nice reputation among a group of people
they don't associate with. And of course, the ratio of Linux sales reps
to FreeBSD sales reps approaches infinity.

If you take a closer look at those Linux deployments, you'll see that
Redhat overwhelmingly dominates. Much more so than it dominates other
distros on the desktop. Slackware and Debian servers in the business are
almost unheard of, though they are more stable, robust, and reliable.
Looking closer at Redhat you'll see several qualities that appeal to the
corporate buyer and deployer: comfortable installation, distributed
package management, large and seemingly stable company, well known name,
fewer abrasive advocates, etc.

> > I was hearing my fellow Comp. Science students
> > predicting Unix would crush Microsoft back in 1988,
> > when Windows 3.0 was in beta testing.
>
> That point of view has traditionally been common in academic circles, since students usually don't know any better.

Actually, most student DO know better. They know the technology better.
They know the capabilities better. But they aren't the marketplace, and
it's the marketplace that decides such things. I was a student in the
early '80s, way before Windows 3.0. When the Mac first came out I
predicted that it would quickly fail. My reasoning was sound. The Mac
took away all control from the user (there wasn't even a floppy eject
button), and had very poor development tools (you needed a Lisa to real
programming on it). But the marketplace didn't listen to me. And now the
Mac has the best consumer hardware in the world and runs a BSD based OS.

David