Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 10:49:45 -0400
From:      Bob Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing the domain name

>On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Bob Hall wrote:
>
>  > uname tells me that my domain name is 'my.domain'. If I try to set up
>  > DNS to use any other domain name, I get an error message from named
>  > saying that the name is bad, regardless of the hostname setting in
>  > /etc/rc.conf. I think I set this when I was trying to get PPP to
>  > work, with the idea that I could change it later. Unfortunately, I've
>  > made so many changes in so many files while I've been learning how to
>  > install and configure FreeBSD that I can't remember where I set this.
>  > I been going through the documentation for hours and can't find where
>  > to set this. Does anyone know where the domain name is set?
>
>Hi Bob,
>
>As the superuser:
>
>hostname name_you_want
>
>Cheers,
>
>Dru

Thanks, but that doesn't work. Editing /etc/rc.comf, either manually
or with sysinstall doesn't work. Any of the above followed by
rebooting doesn't work. uname continues to print
"root@staunton.my.domain". If localhost.rev contains any domain name
other than 'my.domain', named tells me the name is bad and local DNS
won't work.

I've tried
    # sethostname("staunton.bodd_der.net", 21);
but I got a message about misplaced parentheses. Apparently, I
haven't learned how to decipher the man pages yet.
    sethostname(const char *name, int namelen);

Bob Hall

**** Majordomo@hpc.uh.edu
**** Command 'know' not recognized.
Drat. I wanted a list server and got an epistemological skeptic instead.
MySQL maillist secret passwords: sql query database