Date:      Sun, 12 May 1996 14:10:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for the Dell Docking station ethernet adpt??

Stefan Esser wrote:
> On May 11, 19:08, Bob Willcox wrote:
> } Subject: Support for the Dell Docking station ethernet adpt??
> } Hi all,
> }
> } I just got a Dell XPi-P120ST Notebook computer and their docking
> } station (aka ``Advanced Port Replicator'') and was hoping FreeBSD
> } has support for the Ethernet adapter in it.  The docs that came
>
> Does this docking station offer PCI slots and built in devices ?
> If this is the case, I might be able to help.

It comes with two built-in ISA devices.  The SCSI adapter is an
Adaptec AIC-6360 (already supported by FreeBSD and works! :-) and
a SMC91C94 (I may have mis-stated this as a SMC91C92 before) which
(apparently) FreeBSD does not have a driver for.  I was able to
find a Linux driver, though, so I am going to try to build a FreeBSD
driver for the chip.

> } with the docking station say that it has a SMC91C92 chipset.  Does
> } anybody know if FreeBSD has a driver for this?  I have booted the
> } 2.2-960501-SNAP floppy but it doesn't seem to find the adapter.
> }
> } Any help would be greatly appreicated (Please...I don't want to be
> } left trapped in Windows!!)
>
> Please send me (as always :) VERBOSE boot messages ...

Thanks for the offer.  I'll keep it in mind :-)

> I just bought a PCI NE2000 clone (against better knowledge :-)
> in order to finally get some cheap PCI Ethernet cards fully
> supported by PCI plug'n'play (including PCI shared interrupt
> support), and your card might either be supported by the
> patches I already worked out, or may be easy to add ...

Hmm, I doubt it.  This SMC chip family (all the SMC-91Cxxx line)
seem pretty unique in their interface.

--
Bob Willcox
bob@luke.pmr.com