Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 15:32:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        johnr@computer.net
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: First time login

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996 johnr@computer.net wrote:

> I got FreeBSD loaded onto my PC and it is asking me for a login and
> password.  What do I need to type.
>
> Thanks!

If you didn't create any users when you installed the system, you'll
have to log in as root.  If root has no password, just press enter
at the password: prompt.  If you wish, use the passwd command to
give root a password.

But you'll have a lot more questions--so try the guide for newusers
at http://www.freebsd.org.  Follow the links to documentation and
then tutorials.  Alternatively you can get it at
http://andrsn.stanford.edu/FreeBSD/newuser.html, or I'll send you
a copy by e-mail.

Actually this list is for discussion of documentation--writing it,
editing it--rather than answering questions, for which there's
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.

			Annelise