Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 21:43:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'no operating system' after 2.2 install on P6

On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to help someone install 2.2 onto some remote (from me)
> > machines and he's hit this problem... after doing a minimal install on new
> > hardware (4 separate P6s) the machines fail to boot from the harddisk
> > and report the 'no operating system' error.
>
> Get a DOS boot floppy with FDISK on it.  Start it, run FDISK, and set one
> of the slices on your first disk to 'active'.

Thanks.

Turned out to be a problem with the controller. We'd disbaled
the 1gb translation after advice from elsewhere and it confused
the hell out of 2.2.  At least that's the story at the moment.. he's
starting an install from scratch again now and fighting the rest of the
world for a 2k/s ftp link to ftp.freebsd.org

rob