Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:29:17 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv newbie questions

Steve Reid:
 |On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 11:01:08PM -0500, Randall Hopper wrote:
 |>  |When I press the "full screen" button on the remote the image goes
 |>  |full-screen like it should. But when I press the button a second time
 |>  |the screen goes black.
 |I've also noticed that unless I specify -geometry +0+0 (or put the
 |window there manually) going full-screen the X viewport is sometimes not
 |properly aligned with the TV window.

Ahh, ok.  I've seen this too.  In some X servers for some cards, the
viewport extension doesn't work too well.  Fxtv tells the xserver correctly
AFAIK but the xserver sets the viewport off into space somewhere.  I saw
this with my G200 on 3.9.16 IIRC.

 |None of these things happen (except the blank screen on the 2nd/6th/10th
 |etc. press of the full-screen button) when I specify -geometry +0+0, so
 |that's what I'm doing unless/until a proper fix is found.

I don't think this is Fxtv.  I don't have a stand-alone test pgm for this
though.  Easiest way to test would be to change:

        vport_api_works = VERS_SAME_OR_NEWER( s->vmode_majv, s->vmode_minv,
                                              0, 8 );

to:

        vport_api_works = 0

in tvscreen.c and see if that works better (no recentering, but no blank
screen).

 |My X server is 3.3.5 with Utah-GLX module (Matrox G200) and WindowMaker
 |0.61.1. My X header files are only 3.3.3.1 though... Might that make a
 |difference? It hasn't been a problem before.

Hmm.  Maybe.  Compare:

  X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h
  X11/extensions/xf86vmstr.h

between the two versions.

 |> There's currently no "last channel viewed" feature.
 |
 |There is now. http://sea-to-sky.net/~sreid/fxtvpatch.txt

Cool, thanks!  I'll merge it in when I get some time.

Randall