Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:13:25 +0800
From:      Vic Hsu <vich@synology.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   about NIS

Hi:
I have some questions about NIS. I have two machines that
have installed FreeBSD. I want to use NIS to share
information, one is master server, and the other is
client. But when I follow the Handbook's steps to setup,
there are some problems confusing me:

1.when I use "ypinit -m" to generate the database, the
services.byname process print many duplicate message,
like "yp_mkdb:duplicate key 'csdm/tcp' - skipping". Is it
harmless? If I don't modify the Makefile, how can I solve
the problem? Edit the services file??

2.When I boot the NIS client, I can't use server side's
user to login. But when I use local user login, I can
use "ypcat passwd" and "ypwhich" etc. My client setup
step are:
(1)edit rc.conf:
    disdomainname="mydomain"
    nis_client_enable="YES"
    nis_client_flag=""
(2)edit host.conf:
    uncomment the nis line.
(3)add +::::::::: to master.passwd, add +:::::: to
passwd, add +:*:: to group.
(4)reboot
Is anything wrong?

Thank you very much....:)