Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:13:01 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd@optiksecurite.com>, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Subject:   Re: Multiple installation of one ports

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 16:55:46 FreeBSD wrote:
> John Nielsen a =E9crit :
> > On Tuesday 16 September 2008 01:26:35 pm FreeBSD wrote:
> >> I've been asked by a customer to install Drupal on one server to manage
> >> a new site. No problem yet. But, he also asked if it would be possible
> >> to install it for other sites.
> >>
> >> I know that there is a warning if you want to install a port that is
> >> already installed, but is there a way to bypass this? I know I could
> >> install it from the tarball from the website, but I want to be able to
> >> use portupgrade and portaudit to deal with it.
> >
> > I've done this in the past with Gallery and it looks like Drupal should
> > be workable too. The thing to do is to make either a clone port or a
> > slave port of the original and tweak a few things. In particular you'll
> > want to add some sort of suffix to the port name and change the
> > installation directory.
> >
> > For example, you could make a directory called ports/www/drupal6-custom=
er
> > and drop this in its Makefile:
> >
> > PKGNAMESUFFIX=3D-${CUSTNAME}
> > DRUPAL_BASE=3Ddrupal6-${CUSTNAME}
> > .include "../drupal6/Makefile"
> >
> > You could then do things like
> > # cd /usr/ports/www/drupal6-customer
> > # make CUSTNAME=3Dfoo install clean
> > # make CUSTNAME=3Dbar install clean
> > which would (with any luck) create independent installations of drupal
> > under /usr/local/www/drupal6-foo and /usr/local/www/drupal6-bar. Or if
> > you didn't want to worry about defining CUSTNAME all the time (or the
> > desired name/location won't follow a predictable pattern) you could make
> > a different slave port for each installation and hard-code the two
> > values. I haven't tested any of this other than some quick verification
> > of variables using make -V.
> >
> > HTH. If you have specific questions about port mechanics the ports@ list
> > might be the best place to ask. See also the Porter's Handbook:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/
> >
> > JN
>
> That's a pretty interesting idea...I'll keep it in the back of my head.

Good idea, but it's better to create your own 'local' ports outside of the=
=20
standard hierarchy. For example, my own local ports reside in=20
${PORTSDIR}/local. It needs one tweak in /etc/make.conf:
VALID_CATEORIES=3Dlocal

The reason it's 'better', is that you can maintain them in your own reposit=
ory=20
and it's easier to make a tarball of all your local ports, rather then have=
=20
them scattered over different categories.
=2D-=20
Mel

    and never get to the software part.