Date:      Fri, 15 May 2009 17:41:54 +0200
From:      Maciej Milewski <milu@dat.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB WLAN Atheros and USB Ethernet FBSD 7.2

=46riday 15 May 2009 17:15:37 Mel Flynn napisa=C5=82(a):
> On Friday 15 May 2009 13:04:50 Sa=C5=A1a Stupar wrote:
> > I suggest you to buy a good AP (Lynksys, Asus, etc.) and it will work
> > much better than building it from FreeBSD.
>
> And this is based on which assumption with what criteria for "working
> better"? On my FreeBSD AP I can:
> - view my logs in realtime
> - shape traffic
> - deny/grant access at will without requiring rule reloads (pf tables ftw)
> - send custom DHCP info, like:
> option wpad code 252 =3D text;
> option wpad "http://10.0.0.1/proxy.pac";
> - configure over ssh
> - add memory
> - control internal and external DNS
>
> Etcetera.

Well, in my opinion those things you can achieve using AP connected to=20
ethernet card of your computer. But there aro other problems in this soluti=
on:
=2D knowing of connected wifi clients
=2D changing some WiFi settings
=2D reseting AP
Many AP systems are configurable through web interface so it is additional=
=20
problem. If you set it only once and forget about it or you have someone wh=
o=20
can reset this AP then it's possible to do.=20

=46or me there is better if it is one device not two - the configuration in=
 this=20
case could be simpler.

But I second for the advice to use PCI/mPCI cards not USB ones.

=2D-=20
Regards,
Maciej Milewski