Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:12:06 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sony z505s, XFree86 4.0.1 and an external Monitor

I am trying to get X on my Sony Z505S with an external monitor. Everything
is working, but I can't get a decent refresh rate on my monitor.

the X server tells me:
(**) NEOMAGIC(0): Mode "1024x768": 85.0 MHz, 62.5 kHz, 75.9 Hz

but my monitor says:
	fH = 48.5 kHz
	fV = 60.2  Hz

and given the amount of flicker, I believe the monitor :-)

I have tried using the Fn+F7 to switch to CRT only, but when I do that, it
gets worse. The monitor says:
	fH = 48.0 kHz
	fV = 58.3  Hz
but then if I close the lid, it goes back to
	fH = 48.5 kHz
	fV = 60.2  Hz
I have no idea what this crazy notebook is doing :-}

I have tried running X with only
	Option "extern_disp"
and no "intern_disp", this caused  the LCD and the CRT to go blank and
FreeBSD to freeze! So I don't do that anymore :-)

I'm running 4.1.1-Stable, last cvsuped yesterday.

Any suggestions? I'm all out of ideas...

-stacy

--
Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character.
    - Calvin

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited