Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 11:31:15 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers list <FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: need historical insight...

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I have a presumably very rare question:
>
> - I have this PDP-11 sitting next to my FreeBSD box. The PDP has
>   an ancient BSD on it.
>
> - It also has a Qbus DEQNA ethernet card and talks TCP/IP to my
>   home network quite nicely. Telnet works just fine
>
> - My problem comes when I try to get files from the PDP onto the
>   FreeBSD box. After some 2 kBytes (according to the # displayed)
>   the connection hangs.
>
> I really would like to get the files off the PDP onto my FreeBSD
> box since they contain a distribution set of the PDPs OS. A disk
> crash can now easily take my little museum out of commision.
>
> I tried playing with the mtu (maybe the ol' Qbus board is overwhelmed
> by the speed of the other side??) but no luck.
>
> Could the new TCP/IP features be biting me?
>
> On the PDP:
> qe0: 192.168.200.5 netmask ffffff00 flags=243<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING>
> broadcast: 192.168.200.255
>
> On the FreeBSD:
> 192.168.200.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.200.255
> ether 00:00:24:06:32:56
>
> Thanks for all insight..
>  |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte             email: wilko@yedi.iaf.nl
>  |/|/ / / /( (_)  Private FreeBSD site  - Arnhem - The Netherlands

If anything else fails, you might try something real silly and dirty...
Like - get a PC with a terminal emulation program which supports
session logging, switch it in, log into the PDP, and tell it to UUEncode
the file to the screen. Later you'll be able to UUDecode it.

Now, just don't make such a face - it has always helped me as the last
resort.

	Sander