Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:01:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Godfrey <godfreja@dalamar.cs.uwec.edu>
To:        mike grommet <mgrommet@ns.insolwwb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with EPoX VIA motherboard?

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, mike grommet wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I recently upgraded to a new motherboard / cpu / memory / video card
> and now that I am trying to run freebsd, I am getting rather random page
> faults out of the blue.
>
> Heres the run down:
>
> EPOX mainboard, socket 7 with AGP (100 Mhz bus)
> 64 Megs of SDRAM, a single DIMM (100 Mhz)
> AMD k6-2 / 300 (100 Mhz Bus)
> Ultra DMA IDE drive, 6.4 gigs...
> A Diamond Viper 330 AGP. (note, not doing any graphics here. page faults
> are occuring in text mode)
>
>  <SNIP>
> So, while I realize the above config is fairly new and all, I wanted to
> see if you guys have had any problems with the above hardware.  Heck,
> at this point I'm not trying to do anything special, and I figured what
> the heck, I would give it a try.

 Well, I have an EOPX motherboard like yours, 64 Megs SDRAM, and AMD K6-2
300 Mhz (100 bus) running FreeBSD without a problem. Are you sure that
your memory supports 100 Mhz? It should be 8 ns speed, not all SDRAM is.
I'd try running it at a 66 Mhz bus speed for awhile and see if the problem
goes away. If it does, it's your memory.

> Thanks for your help and insight.

-- Jason