Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:32:51 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lastest kernel from cvs ( sh exists with signal 8 )

Hello,

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 11:35:49PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> I just do 'make includes' w/o the rm of /usr/include when I do this..
>
> I normally do this, FWIW:
>
> 1) make buildworld
> 2) make installworld
> 3) config FOO
> 4) compile kernel FOO
> 5) install kernel FOO
> 6) update /etc
> 7) reboot

OK, then I am not the only one left still sticking to the ole' style...
which has always worked for me BTW... although this is also due to the fact
that I read mailing lists, docs, and lately even cvs-all. Which is not
true for many -stable users out there...

> 2) It hides the output from config(8).  config(8) prints out all sorts of
> useful warnings when options are deprecated, etc., but buildkernel hides these
> from the user.  The problem is that config(8) is by design an interactive tool,
> which buildkernel fails to take into account.  The hack now is to have
> config(8) treat warnings as errors instead. :-/

I can second this. Way back when I upgraded from 3.x to 4.x I had to use
this method and boy, was I lucky to stare at the screen all while it was
running... this way I cought the errors from config(8) that were quickly
scrolling by, and buildkernel continued despite of the errors! I broke my
personal record for hitting Ctrl-C and so ended this crazy ride, after
which config file was fixed and a succesful buildkernel followed. (Yes, I
know... using custom kernel config files was not supported during the
upgrade... but hey, I knew what I was doing... I even managed to preserve
my old config file from 3.3 days by always converting it to new syntax
requirements instead of starting over:-)

So buildkernel should most deifintely be fixed.

But relax, guys. The FreeBSD source upgrade system is still the most robust
of any OS I saw out there, including all the other BSDs. Eg you cannot
normally upgrade between releases because they are not prepared for those
extra steps our buildworld does wrt the toolchain. (You have to rebuild gcc
by hand etc.)

Keep up the good work!

--
Regards: