Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 22:04:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        vanilla@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: manpages (Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/p5-Term-Query p5-Term-Query-2.0.tgz)

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> MANCOMPRESSED=yes: manpage is compressed
> MANCOMPRESSED=no: manpage is not compressed
> MANCOMPRESSED=maybe: honors NOMANCOMPRESS

It might also be worthwhile to create an appropriate
compress-man: target.

This would be useful for the ilu port.  This port generates its
${PLIST} during do-install: and (apparently) doesn't know what
manpages will be installed until do-install:.

Since all bsd.port.mk references to MANx are after the do-install
target, and since they would all be called from a recursive
${MAKE}, the port could do

.if exists(${.CURDIR}/work/PLIST)
MAN1!=	cd ${PREFIX}/ilu/man/man1 ; ${ECHO} *
.endif

[Potential warning on reinstall: I think]

This is ugly, no question, but for ilu (at least), the
alternatives are pretty ugly, too.

Actually, some of these ports with several hundred manpages
become rather cumbersome when each manpage has to be listed in
Makefile...  I wonder...  ;-)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.