Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:32:06 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp filter to allow fetch traffic

Hi,

Which port are you trying to fetch? What does the output of
tcpdump show. If it is an active ftp connection it should show
an incoming connection from port 20 to a local high port.

See if the FTP_PASSIVE_MODE environment variable is set at all.
It seems that as soon as it exist, it switches to passive
mode, irrespective of the value.

I captured the tcpdump traffic to a file for both a active and
passive ftp connection and vi'd the file. If it is active you
should find the PORT string in the file and the PASV string if
it is a passive connection.

tcpdump -i tun0 -vv -n -s 256 -w /tmp/ftp.cap port 21

Maybe I'm on the wrong track here?

Regards
Willem Brown

--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

In any organization there will always be one person
who knows what is going on.
This person must be fired.