Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 13:42:16 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel messages....

<<On Mon, 4 Mar 1996 11:06:05 GMT, "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com> said:

> date  time  hostname /kernel: in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 2400

> There is a substantial amount of inbound traffic (there's a popular web page
> on our machine). I'm guessing that this is a kernel message about running
> out of some
> resource needed to handle the faster link and load.

No, it's not running out of anything.  It is attempting to keep the
per-host cache from consuming all available memory by shortening the
timeout after which they are deleted.  This message is harmless, and
you can ignore it.  (There are parameters in the net.inet.ip branch of
the sysctl(8) MIB which you can use to adjust this behavior.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.