Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 11:51:19 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reset screen hardware?

> > Funny, my bigget rant has to do with people going "Why doesn't FreeBSD
> > have feature XXX?!" rather than "Here are my diffs to support feature
> > XXX, please integrate them."
>
> And would you?  If I had come along with the diffs for doing it this
> way, you'd have said (with some justification) "Go away, we don't want
> all this crap in the kernel".  I was, in fact, considering doing the
> implementation, but I see that it's not the way to go.

Come on here, what at least I have been advocating for, is that
we need that functionality, but we need it done RIGHT. We allready
have so many kludges/hacks in the kernel, we don't need another one.

If Joe random hacker cannot graps the bigger picture, and get his
hacks in the right direction, well, I'm sorry it won't be commited.
On the other hand, if Joe mature hacker comes around, and wants to
help do the hard work along the guidelines that the responsible
person(s) have laid out (and belive me, for the most part things
has been thought long and seriously about), he will be welcommed
with open arms.

So to get concrete in this matter, we need:

1. Being able to call realmode code from the kernel.

2. Being able to run BIOS functions, that is we need to keep
   track of the BIOS's workspace, most often in low memory.

3. Then write the code to call the right BIOS functions to
   be able to talk to the video HW.

So, if someone is SERIOUS about getting this to work, pick one
of the above, come back to me so we can get technical about
the details, and them submit the diffs. Then I'm certain it will
be committed, and the author will get his fair share of applause..

But gimme a break on just demanding XXX functionality, sometimes
with badly (if at all) designed hacks....

So got that of my chest... Ahhhh...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..