Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:13:37 -0800
From:      jasone@magnesium.net
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fixed (was Re: HEADS UP: Strange booting lockups)

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 02:32:38AM -0800, Jason Evans wrote:
> We don't know why this is happening, and at this point the primary
> suspicion is that this problem has been lurking for quite some time, and
> we've recently committed a combination of changes that causes the problem
> to exhibit itself more consistently.  Jake Burkholder, Peter Wemm, and I
> all checked in changes that were independently tested and confirmed to
> work, yet the combination of the changes seems to be bad, even though none
> of them appear to touch code that is executed so early during boot.

It was my fault.  I tested my changes, and during review, one of the review
comments was a request to change the order of fields in struct mtx.  I
didn't change the order in a static initializer though.  Yay for last
minute changes without repeated testing.  Thanks go to Jake for finding the
problem.  In my tired and frantic state, I was about to resort to backing
the whole thing out. =)

> There is a report (that just came to my attention) of this problem existing
> for one person at least two weeks ago, so it isn't clear yet what
> conditions cause the problem to manifest itself.

I'm not sure what caused the problem as mentioned in the above paragraph,
but Donald Maddox may have the explanation for it in another email in this
thread.

Wearing the pointy hat,
Jason