Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:23:07 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1042842187.5ca9c1@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linked twice against libintl.so

In <20030112221129.GA11959@gicco.homeip.net>, Hanspeter Roth <hampi@rootshell.be> typed:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build the ElectricEyes port. The executable is linked
> against two versions of libintl.so:
>
>         libintl.so.4 => /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.4 (0x284c2000)
>         libintl.so.2 => not found (0x0)
>
> Gettext is 0.11.5_1.
> Is there a solution except of creating a link?

Yes. Find port that's using the old version of libintl, and upgrade
it. Unfortunately, there's not an easy way to find the port. See the
patch in <URL: http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/37448 >
for how to get ldd to give you the name of the library that's trying
to use libintl.so.2. Then use pkg_info -W to find thae name of the
package that needs to be udpated.

FWIW, a link may work, but is asking for trouble.

> I found also two versions of libintl.so in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg:
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       10 Dec 16 00:16 libintl.so.1 -> libintl.so
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       10 Jan  8 01:03 libintl.so.2 -> libintl.so
>
> Do they matter? How have they come here?

It looks like you are using portupgrade. It copies old libraries to
/usr/local/lib/compat when it upgrades the port and the version number
changes. It does that so that upgrading the port doesn't cause other
ports that depend on it to stop working. Personally, I disable this
and resign myself to having a few things break and rebuilding them.

	<mike