Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:11:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Val <val@hcol.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0 10baset/utp option?

> > the card itself has 100 and 10 mbps activity lights.
> > The manual for it also mentions operations at 10mbps.
> > So i guess freebsd doesn't support this mode of operation?
>
> It should, but your card is apparently telling the driver that it doesn't
> support 10BaseT.
>
> Try cold-booting the system and/or using any setup utility you may have
> received from the manufacturer to reconfigure the media settings.  It may
> be forced to 100mbit.
well,
the setup and diag software let's me run a network test through 10Mbps hub
from one machine to the other (boot to dos, run diag, network test, one is
slave, the other is master).
The setup doesn't give an option for media select though :(
I am no c guru, but i looked trough definition files for dec network cards
and it seemed to me that my card is little bit too new.
it has a lot of options for 21142 chip, but mine is 21143.  I tried to
duplicate some of them, and recompile the kernel, but it didn't see any
changes.  If any brave soul who knows c wants to send me the updated
source files/kernel i would be glad to try them on these network cards.
If anyone wants to hack the kernel directly on that machine let me know,
and i will put machine up on the internet since it's going in to
production only 20 days from now.

Well, i guess i am going to get a double speed hub then, since the router
and the modem bank here uses 10mbps or may be other network cards.

Val.