Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:43:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Digital, Intel, Silicon Graphics (fwd)

Seems like a good time to report what happened with the CDs Jordan sent
me to promote FreeBSD.
I had a bet with a teacher in which he would test FreeBSD and I would test
Linux (Linux is not very popular here either). One of his students
strongly suggested the guy was too stubborn and that I shouldn't throw
away the CD. I decided to loan the CD to him for an indefinite time.

About two months ago he said he would reserve one box (the slowest he had)
to test it. AFAIK the CD is *still* unused: without having it tested the
teacher decided it was "not as standard" (read popular) as Linux. I
haven't asked for that CD back because there is a small chance he *will*
use it one day and he will discover the evident.

Other teachers have received the CDs, and I made a copy for the library (I
worked there), but in essence the CDs are in a latent stage. I effectively
convinced most people that FreeBSD is the ultimate OS, but noone seems to
have time to test something new. I don't believe forcing them is the way
here, but I do pass around JIC they are having problems.

My personal conclusions are:
1) FreeBSD doesn't need certain users.
2) A FreeBSD hacker is required to adequately promote FreeBSD, but it's
not enough; you also require certain culture (+ books + web pages+...).
3) Countries like Colombia don't have that culture, and many people don't
want it either.

I like to think there are some positive things and that the CDs were not
lost...I had *better* success with closed cirles of hackers: I think I can
convince an NT developer of banking applications to port his software to
FreeBSD and unix in general, and at least the community now has the clear
knowledge that there are other alternatives.

	Pedro.