Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:30:01 -0400
From:      Justin Edward Muniz <justin.muniz@maine.edu>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: GSOC: Qt front-ends

> Our kernel is actually very easy to configure, so I'm not convinced that
> it's needed; you may be thinking of Linux's menuconfig, but I think that is
> because of the complexity.
>
> Chris

While configuring the kernel may be trivial to someone who understands the
process and their systems needs, I am thinking of a software tool that goes
beyond the scope of the occasional generating of a kernel configuration
file.

Imagine that you have a number of systems and you want to run kernels that
are lighter weight than the generic kernel but each system has its own
individual needs. A GUI could help manage a large number of custom kernels,
and provide access to convenient access to features such as specifying a
kernel to load on the next boot only for testing. You could even configure
the custom kernel profiles to be built from separate source directories.

That is not to say of course that everyone else using x11 couldn't benefit
from it as well. The application could help avoid compatibility issues
during kernel installation by comparing the kernel's version to the version
of world. Some helpful aids would be visual categorization of options as
well as option descriptions, caveats, and hyperlinks to more in depth
information.

As for its place in Google Summer of Code, you could be right, it may not
be enough to dedicate such resources. I know however that I would use it,
maybe others would as well? Thank you for your advice once again Chris!
What do you think about the other utilities?

Justin Muniz