Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 10:03:25 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP bug

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 11:47:15AM -0800, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >
> > I mean the FreeBSD box you are sitting on and from which you can't access
> > www.aol.com.
>
> That isn't overly likely to be an issue in this case.  A tcpdump will show
> for sure the ack for that packet is getting back or not.

Tcpdump will show that packets have no DF bit set.

> > >  As I understood this discussion (which seemed clear to me); the
> > > problem was that an internal node (behind the firewall) couldn't
> > > get to some web sites because of fragmentation issues.  The low
> > > MTU at the firewall/gateway broke path MTU discovery..
> >
> > No, the problem is not with low MTU, but because AOL is blocking ICMP:
> >
> > PING aol.com (152.163.210.29): 56 data bytes
> > 36 bytes from www2-r10-P5-0-0.tpopr-rri.aol.com (152.163.133.6): Communication prohibited by filter
> > Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst
> >  4  5  00 5400 68cb   0 0000  ea  01 894d 194.93.177.113  152.163.210.29
> >
> > ^C
> > --- aol.com ping statistics ---
> > 22 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
>
> While the blame should be assigned to someone who is filtering, it is
> important to note that just because you can't ping someone doesn't mean
> they are filtering all ICMP.

Using telnet is a bad idea to test whether PMTU-D works on not.
Telnet produces small packets, so you'll never receive "fragmentation needed
and DF is set" message. For the same reason, you can't test whether a site
is blocking ICMP type 3 code 4 messages.

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank