Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:11:03 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soft-updates feedback

Glad that is working out for you. I am not into PCI low level bugs they are
very
difficult to indentify and in certain cases impossible to fix.

To give you a little hint:

1.68    25 May 1999 Roger Hardiman <roger@freebsd.org>
                   Due to differences in PCI bus implementations from various
                    motherboard chipset manufactuers, the Bt878/Bt879 has 3
                    PCI bus compatibility modes. These are
                      NORMAL PCI 2.1  for proper PCI 2.1 compatible chipsets.
                      INTEL 430 FX    for the Intel 430 FX chipset.
                      SIS VIA CHIPSET for certain SiS and VIA chipsets.
                    Older Intel and non-Intel chipsets may also benefit from
                    either 430_FX or SIS/VIA mode.

Usually, the kind of problems that I have heard of is systems hanging hard
for instance with the Bt848 driver.

The bottom line is that if it is working for you great.

--

 Amancio Hasty
 hasty@rah.star-gate.com