Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 1995 13:13:33 EST
From:      mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com)
Subject:   FreeBSD as router,firewall machine and terminal server

Hi networking experts,
   I am interested in using FreeBSD 2.x for connecting a home LAN
   to the rest of the world either using SLIP or PPP. The main role
   of the FreeBSD box is to serve as :

   1) Router/Gateway to Internet for other PCs on local network
   2) Firewall box for the local network
   3) Terminal server for dial-up

   Can anyone tell me the required softwares to have the above
   setup ?

   Presumably, for 1) I need gated and IPFORWARD ?
   for 2) I need an extremely secure system, and I remembered people
   are talking about ipfirewall, deslogin etc, can some of them be
   mixed together to achieve a secure system ?
   for 3), I have no idea how I can turn a FreeBSD box into a terminal
   server at all.

   Any advice or suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.