Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:02:34 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
To:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   OT: AMD Mobile CPUs

Guys, I hate to make such an OT post, so I'll try to make it short.  I'm a
FreeBSD admin writing on behalf of owners of the very very flawed Sony Vaio
FX210 and FX215 laptops.  We're trying to resolve some of the problems with
our laptops by replacing the mobile Duron CPU.  Basically what we're looking
for is a source where we can purchase AMD Athlon and Duron mobile CPUs.

(a) Yes, we are sure other Socket A mobile CPUs will work.  We have tested a
couple including the newest Athlon 4 mobiles.

(b) Yes, we've already contacted Sony and AMD.

If you know someone involved with laptops, AMD, or any other source that
might be able to aquire perhaps 20 mobile cpus, we would really appreciate
any contacts you might have.  We currently have Mobile Durons with the
Spitfire core, which has no PowerNow! support, the source of one of our
problems.

We have solved every possible issue in making one of the new CPUs work in
our laptops.  The only problem we are having is trying to aquire them.  The
tests we've done were all supplied with CPUs from other AMD laptop owners.

Thanks for any help you can provide.  Please email me directly with your
for the chat/hackers crosspost.  We're trying to recover some value from a
very recent $1700 investment.

And of course my laptop runs FreeBSD.  :)